Mechanical Testing- Tensile Testing
Tensile testing is the most fundamental of mechanical testing methods. Tensile testing is most commonly used to determine the yield and tensile strength of a material. The tensile testing machine can also be used for flexural- and compression testing.
- Determination of yield and tensile strength
- Maximum deflection
- Comparison of stress-strain curves
Mechanical Testing – Hardness Testing
Hardness testing is a useful tool for evaluation of materials and quality control of manufacturing processes. The hardness can be used to estimate other mechanical properties such as tensile strength. Hardness testing methods we provide are Vickers, micro-Vickers, Brinell, Rockwell and Leeb rebound (portable).
- Hardness profile over welds
- Measuring of hardening depth
- Verification of heat treatment
- Quality controls in conjunction with failure investigations
Mechanical Testing- Impact Testing
Impact testing is a commonly used method for identifying how much energy a material can absorb during collision. The absorbed energy can be used to determine material properties such as toughness and fracture resistance. An impact test can also be useful to determine materials behaviour at different temperatures and does often play a significant role when it comes to identifying critical temperature ranges for a certain material, such as ductile-brittle transition.
- Determination of ductile-brittle transition
- Identifying critical operating temperatures for a certain material
- Estimate material properties such as toughness and fracture resistance
Mechanical Testing- Scratch Testing
Scratch testing is often performed to determine the cohesive and adhesive properties of a material. The method involves a hard tip (often diamond) being drawn across the surface of a material with an applied variable load, forming a scratch. The method is commonly used as quality control of coatings but may also be used to estimate bulk materials resistance to abrasion/wear.
- Quality control of coatings or bulk materials
- Determination of abrasive and adhesive properties
Click on one of the boxes to read more!
Information kopplat till bild 5
Information kopplat till bild 6